From High Heels To Orthopedics Shoes!

Located on approximately 10 acres with approximately 165 units

I guess I am starting to feel like a "real"writer now because it is so silly, but I have to write on this "blog" when I'm " in the mood"! What the heck is that all about?? I should be totally in the mood after such a generous, beautiful Christmas surprise, a trip to Napili Kai Beach Resort in Maui, Hawaii, including 1st class airline tickets!! A totally unexpected ,special, Christmas gift from my son Scott & his wife Trina and my Darling Granddaughters, McKenzie & Alexa! I had been in pain again from various orthopedic issues, mostly, and for the first time in my life found my self asking my Dr. for anti- depressant medication. I guess it was caused by the usual Holiday stress coupled with the other constant medical stuff. I try not to "dump" on my kids too much but I guess they "got the picture". In fact, I have so many friends, relatives, & neighbors that are suffering from really serious life threatening issues, I feel silly even mentioning it. I guess it is the constant pain for at least 30 years that I finally thought, "enough already"! You know, that is another side effect of getting older that moves me deeply, and that is watching those you love suffer.

I guess it takes me awhile to digest everything, and I did actually go and come home with a "host" of health "stuff", some new and some old! First let me say it was a phenomenal trip , it just came and went so darn fast!

I have addressed this before, but I remember the "old days" when packing for a few days away, was a total breeze! It seems that the older we get the more we "fuss" over silly details! First of all, this year, since we left on January 7th, we had to un-decorate the inside and outside of our home, & pack away all the Christmas decorations "before" we left....why? Heck I don't know.....well, okay, the outside really needed to be cleared out because of our Homeowners rules, although I know, one week wouldn't be a big deal. So, among other things, we packed it all away, cleaned the house, watered the plants, refilled prescriptions, and on and on. At this point, in all fairness, Jim did a "lions share" of everything! Then I made a fuss, so we had to go to AAA to pick up a travel book of wonderful things to do in Maui & maps! That was a joke, there were only about 4 main highways in Maui. About the things to do....hiking,, paddle, scuba, snorkeling no..( can't climb into the boat) ,and on and on , of things I "cannot" do!! So we spent the Holidays dodging flu, and Noro Virus, packing, unpacking "stuff", & "organizing" for our upcoming trip!!

Since our flight left really early in the AM and returned late PM from Sacramento, we decided to find some airport transportation. I called local (I always like to use local providers if possible), shuttle & limo services! No one answered except one service, Professional Air Shuttle Service in Discovery Bay, Sylvia!! She was fabulous, the price was right, so my search ended there ! They were perfect, totally on time, Mike our driver going fun & interesting, and "Sendo", the owner, along with Sylvia, was wonderful! Their vans are 1st class, comfortable, clean & they provide water & snacks to go for all riders! I recommend them highly!!

When we arrived at the airport, Scott had already alerted them to provide a wheelchair (note to young girls, high heels helped put me here) hence title of this blog, "High Heels to Orthopedic Shoes" I rode in comfort & poor Jimmy practically ran, to keep up! Everything ran "smooth as silk", even going through security! Then Scott sends us First Class if possible, particularly because it provides more leg room and Jim & I both have had blood clots! I have to mention the folks that push those wheelchairs, in practically every instance, were fabulous, they take you fast and efficiently to your gate
, (or to a bathroom) and many times are new to our country! Please remember to not only chat & be friendly but to tip them!!

We flew Hawaiian Airlines! I remember the old "promos" that looked like a Hawaiian Luau on board , so it wasn't quite that fun and grand, but it was a lovely flight!! I am totally spoiled now.....I love First Class, I eat and drink everything they offer, chat with the friendly attendants, (some who are close to my age so we have lots in common)! I read, watch movies if there is one I really want to see, but I NEVER close my eyes, I am just enjoying "the heck out of the whole I LOVE to fly!! I really love to travel period, but lately my body is kind of unforgiving!

We arrived in Honolulu & had a few hours till our flight to Maui! I love "people watching" so that is not a problem Jim and I are both happy & congenial travelers, I think I "put a spell" on Jim, if it is possible, he is friendlier & more talkative then me! Heck, when I met him, 20 years ago he was the strong silent what a change ! -:)

Anyway, we were finally on the "last leg to paradise"!! We arrived in Maui, picked up our luggage and took the shuttle to Budget rentals to pick up our car! The shocker....$1120.00 a week for a mini van. Both cheaper options didn't work, ATV's to high to get into and sedans too low...sounds like a the old children's story! -:) The darling gal that took care of us, gave us her discount because she felt so bad that the car was so pricey! Then she picked up our car and said it was too old, took it back and brought us out a brand new Dodge Minivan! It had never been driven, and had tons of "bells & whistles. Jim was the navigator & I was the pilot....huge mistake! I immediately was in the rush hour traffic on the only main road and worse yet, the setting sun was in my eyes & I couldn't see a darn thing, I couldn't work the windows , the ignition was on the dashboard,etc. and I was in a panic! We had to pick up a few groceries, (beware, a loaf of bread can cost $6.95) so when we finally pulled into a shopping center, shopped a little, then Jim drove us to our beautiful tropical home for a week, the Napili Kai Beach Resort! By the time we got in it was dark and this place was not easy to find, there were no street lights (pitch dark-made it difficult to see the street signs and pedestrians), but once we found it.......everything was perfect, and a very long day was over!

Napili Kai Beach Resort (Located on approximately 10 acres with approximately 165 units) has a very interesting history, it was the second resort to be built on Maui, so they grabbed the simply most fabulous location! When we arrived, Mary at the front desk greeted us with a huge smile & gracious manner!! I had called a few times to double check on our accommodations and first talked to Mary (Marichu Rialubin)and then Jordan, (Jordan Arakawa)to be reassured that our accommodations would be perfect. I called Mary early on and she was so "bubbly" and nice. The day before we spoke, Jordan told me that he had the perfect spot, #70, and boy was he right. When we arrived, all we had to do was walk around the corner from the lovely, open lobby and we were there . Jim requested a bellboy to bring our luggage be brought to our place. It was embarrassing, here came cute, tiny, little Mary unloading all our heavy stuff! Our place was actually two units, with a connecting door, the second like an attached "in law unit", no kitchen, twin beds but huge bath w/ a walk in shower for me. Our unit had a small kitchenette, king bed, desk, dresser, couch, etc., and a lani all with the most glorious view you could possibly imagine! I could lay in my comfy bed, and look out at the view!! Unbelievable...I was in heaven!! We unpacked, then made reservations at the famous Seahouse Restaurant!

To get to the restaurant we walked through the lobby and down a flight of stairs, and we were there, right on the beach....couldn't have been more convenient! It is one of the very few restaurants actually on the water/beach. Folks that eat here come from all over Maui because of it's food & location!

Now about the Seahouse Restaurant itsel!! Truly it was "a bit of heaven". Our first night we made dinner reservations for 8:00PM, & asked for a romantic table! ( Yes, at ages 69 & 75 we still love romance) The staff reserved table #16 every night, (the staff loved us!) It was literally on the beach, open aired, music playing, swaying palm trees, waves lapping ...well you get the picture! We opened the divine menu and....well, I became a total wild woman! I ordered a Mai Tai, then macadamia crusted fresh Mahi Mahi, mashed potatoes, wine with dinner, etc. Then, the waitress asked about desert, I replied, " I don't usually order desert", but lets see what is on there......HUGE mistake! There #1 was, toasted cocoanut cream brûlée with mango sugar crust!! I never pass up coconut cream pie or cream brûlée, so , you guessed it....we dined here every night, and then that was my desert every night! No matter what I ate, fresh fish, prime rib, lobster, it was followed by my favorite desert! It was was all sensational, everything you think Hawaii should be. Then to make matters worse, I discovered my other secret favorite...Coffee Kioki, a delicious blend of Kona coffee, brandy, Kaluah, & whipped cream! Now, I have to tell you, I truly consumed all of these delights for seven nights & gained 7 lbs in a week (what you gain in HI does not stay there), I was shocked! Not! -:) Before you conclude that I was's totally true, but if this wonderful gift of the entire trip (not including food) hadn't been given to us by our generous children, first of all, we couldn't have afforded the trip in the first place, but if somehow we squeaked by financially , we would have eaten cheap, take out or peanut butter sandwiches every day. (I do have to mention here, that Jim hates to drive outside of Brentwood, & we are "cheap", so we rarely eat out) At home we eat healthy 95% of the time......boring! So given this rare opportunity, I went "nuts"! I have to admit, I became a gluttonous, wild woman, with no boundaries......and I loved it! I have worked all my life and still do, and have never splurged in such a ridiculous way on anything for myself, unfortunately , this "splurge" all settled on my hips. Heck, all my family died young , except for my it really could have been my last "hurrah", now I'm wearing all that selfish, expensive satisfaction on my body! After these sumptuous dinners, we asked "the restaurant staff" to order our "limo", and usually, Mary, (she was the jack of all trades at Napilli Kai) would pick us up in a golf cart and deliver us to our front door, so I didn't have to walk up the stairs. Needless, to say, we hardly left Napilli Kai....why leave paradise???

We hardly ventured out period. We did take a lovely coast drive one afternoon, very similar to the CA. coast! But, with the beautiful beach, four cozy pools scattered around the lush green lawns, our personal lani w/ views to die for, we were a actually on a small bay, hence the twinkling lights at night.....why leave??

Another fun afternoon was spent in the quaint coast town of Lahaina. Since it was the only thing I could do, from "things to do on Maui" book, we had lunch at a fun restaurant called "Captain Jacks", an open air restaurant located on a second floor, but overlooking the famous park where one glorious Banyan Tree spreads its branches over the entire block. We had cold draft beers & fish & chips, served by a darling redheaded Irish waitress named Erin! What a fun was so good and the whole experience there was delightful!

After lunch we wondered down to the water where our boat was docked, and lined up for the two hour boat ride. Again, there I was climbing to the outside upper deck, (I refused to sit with the old folks inside, below)! -:) -:) The ride was great, it was warm & sunny and a perfect day for a boat ride!! I LOVE to be out on a boat on a beautiful sunny day! We did see some whales but they were not as close to the boat as they were in Mexico. It didn't matter to me if I saw any, I was "happy as a clam". By the way, Jim and I seem to agree on everything so doing anything with him is a joy! He was enjoying the day, the folks we chatted with everywhere, and was equally happy to be back to "our little home, away from home".

We ordered fabulous "pu pus" the day we watched the Niners win the playoffs. The TV was huge, and on cable, so we watched the game out of one eye, and our beautiful view out of the other. As we were coming and going through out our stay we would stop in the lobby and chat with the folks behind the counter or the fun concierge, her name was Karen "Happy" Wood! Now Happy worked at a camp for kids and the name she used there was "HAPPY". Since this resort already had a Karen, she had to use another name. She already had a name tag with Happy on it, why not use that name. Many times we would stop and sit by her desk, under different circumstances we could have been " best friends". Note to the Napilii Kai owners & management, you should give these folks raises, they are fantastic employees , in fact, except for one kind of cranky guy (everyone can have a bad day, maybe his wife left him for a womanWhistle), everyone went above and beyond to make our stay perfect in every way! During the game Scott called and he had changed our return flight to a direct flight from Maui to San Francisco! Woo Hoo, I hate to come home anyway, so this was super and made the coming home trauma easier on my "beaten up" body. We called our shuttle service, and no problem! Again we had perfect service from them!

In retrospect, the trip was like a "beautiful fantasy dream", it came and went so darn fast!! Trust me, all the recommendations written about here are "spot on"! From the shuttle, to the airport, to Hawaiian Airlines, and definitely, to beautiful, tropical, Napilli Kai Beach Resort!! I do believe attitude is everything, and smiles & thank you, go a really long way! All my young life, my Dad always stressed "The Golden Rule", (do unto others, etc.) and when you apply that to everything and everyone, I guarantee you will lead a happy life, (as we do)!!!
Also, a "smile" and "thank you" cost you nothing, but boy the rewards are priceless! We live in a tough, stressful world and a little kindness is appreciated so much!! I guess I've gone into to much detail, (as always), -:) ending with a sermon of sorts so I'll stop with one last word.....Aloha!!

~~~~"Other Stuff"~~~~

Note:Jim is going to add the photos, and probably a few of his own comments, he doesn't like to be left out!! :-(:

Very interesting how this resort came about. When it first opened (March 26,1962) there were 16 rooms. Single rooms were $10, double $15, and Suite $20. But, business was so slow that by June, the rates were cut in half in order to attract tourist. According to one staff member, a unit will cost you  $1 Million+++.

Months to get a meat cleaver, good luck on finding complete sets of dishes, the Imura Jewlery Co. did stock paint brushes, paint, and turpentine. They have come a long way since the early sixties.

Then mother nature was not very nice to them in the early years.

* The Unbeatable Dream  (The Book)

*CHAPTER ONE-Page 1 of the book:

Love at First Sight

(Mud, mud, glorious mud,

Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood;

Follow me follow, down to the hollow.

There we will wallow in glorious mud!

Whoever would have guessed how the words of that ditty would ring in the ears of Jack, Margaret and Dorothy Millar?

Certainly, not they! Nor did they imagine the challenges posed by tidal wave warnings, f loods and fire which were to confront them when they pursued a dream. The dream was the offspring of a great love affair – a love affair which began in 1957 and was to continue into the present. The principals were three Canadians and the island of Maui, second largest in the Hawaiian chain. Jack Millar, an honorably discharged wing commander from the Royal Canadian Air Force, and his wife, Margaret, sought respite from the cold Vancouver winters in Waikiki. Like many visitors, they fell passionately in love with Hawaii and established a pattern of yearly visits. Before long, however, the increasing growth and congestion became a source of unhappiness. Jackhammers and traffic noises drowned out the sounds of the birds and the trade winds carried construction dust and exhaust fumes. So when Jack was told of a nice piece of available property situated on a small bay on Maui, he and Marg arranged to f ly there immediately. Upon arrival, they rented a U-drive car and found their way to Napili Bay, where they were directed to the exact piece of property that was available. The half-acre parcel fronted the bay, which was then shrouded by giant kiawe (algarroba) trees.The dense, thorny-branched trees which grew to the beach... )

Jack returned to Vancouver, determined to acquire the parcel. Inquiries led him to Herb Bliss, who was the leasing manager for a large Cadillac dealer in Vancouver. Bliss had also visited the Napili site and was interested in its acquisition.

Since the owner was unwilling to sell the property at any price, the two men discussed the possibility of taking out a lease and putting a small building on the property. They could create a little Shangri-La!

After Herb wrote a letter to several friends whom he thought might be interested, he and Jack met with them and put forth the resort idea. The suggestion was that anyone interested in joining them put up $500.The men called another meeting and asked this time for a $5,000 minimum investment. Ten people promised $10,000 apiece. In 1960, they incorporated in Hawaii under Hawaiian law as Napili Kai, Ltd. a Hawaii corporation. A resort was born!

Once the corporation had the lease, the directors approached Maui banks for loan assistance for the building’s construction since the corporation’s funds were only slightly in excess of $100,000.The banks were not interested.

Another meeting was held and shareholders were asked for an additional $10,000 or to find a willing friend. The directors changed the value of their stock from $1 to $2. The outcome was that the corporation expanded to 25 members and had enough capital to pay for the building of the Lahaina wing in cash.

The enthusiasm for Maui was contagious enough to warrant planning a second building, the 32-room Honolua Wing and a small restaurant, The Teahouse of the Maui Moon.

Funding the expansion was a nightmare, but enough shares were purchased at $4 apiece by original Canadian shareholders and other return guests, to initiate the project which was completed in December of 1963.


The Millar’s loved living in the cottage. Unfortunately, because they lived on the property, they were called when anything went wrong – broken toilets, sickness, lost keys, heart attacks – in the middle of the night.

The Millar’s new life at Napili Kai was far from dull.

Within their first year at the resort, there were several tidal wave warnings. The Millar’s were startled by their first warning shortly after their arrival. The police called at midnight to say that everyone must evacuate since the wave was traveling at 500 mph and was due in one and a half hours.

Once the Millar’s had attended to the guests, they began to plan their own evacuation. It fell to Margaret to pack the car.

Through all of this, the civil defense siren wailed continuously as the guests and staff scrambled helter-skelter.

Much later, when the all-clear was issued and people stumbled back to their rooms, the Millar’s were astounded to discover what Margaret had packed: running shoes, dog food and leashes, one banana, toothbrushes, deodorant, a bottle of Coke and a bottle of scotch!

When Jack asked Dottie what she had done with her treasured fur stole, she replied, “I thought I’d look pretty funny in shorts, thongs and fur so I took a chance!”


One day, a nosy guest who seemed always to be hanging around the front desk happened to see Marg in the office. Marg only worked in the office when extra help was needed for sticking stamps or other occasional jobs. The man pointed his finger at Ruth, then Betty and then Dottie. Finally, he addressed Ruth, “I know what you do, and I know what she does; and I know what she does. But, I don’t know what she does,” pointing at Marg. Ruth responded immediately, “Oh; she has the best job of all: she sleeps with the boss!”


Napili Kai’s first year was a financial disaster since income hadn’t covered the wages or taxes. Maui was not a well-known tourists destination at that time, and the Napili Kai Beach Club was too small to make much of an impression on the travel market.

Things changed, however, with the opening of the Royal Lahaina Resort at Christmas 1962. The Sheraton at Black Rock opened in January 1963 and the golf course went into operation.

Maui was thrust into the news, especially with Sheraton’s worldwide promotion. The sleepy town of Lahaina awoke and started to bustle with activity. And, the world of visitors discovered the quiet little bay out at Napili.


One day they discovered that a guest of the Beach Club, who had only moments earlier left the Teahouse with his wife for an after-dinner stroll, had suffered a heart attack. Douglas endeavored to perform CPR on the man – who was already dead on the Millar’s arrival. The body was placed on a surf board which was used by the Beach Club for rescue purposes. But, the question then was: what would the Millar’s do with the body? When the doctor arrived and certified that the gentleman had indeed died of a heart attack, the Millar’s were informed that Napili’s side of the island was without a mortuary. Furthermore, they were told that all mortuaries on Maui were closed at that hour. Panic!


One such day, Jack looked out across the beach and saw a man frantically waving his arms and yelling for help. Apparently, this man had walked through the lobby earlier that morning in his bathing suit and had been questioned by Paddy Jacobsen, who was working at the front desk. “You’re not going in the water are you?” she had asked. “Young lady, I’ll decide when my sons and I will go into the water. My sons are great swimmers,” he replied sharply. He then proceeded to boast of his sons’ swimming prowess, telling her what university teams they had been on. The man and his sons had gone to the beach and the youths had dived through the first waves. Soon they found that ocean swimming was different from being in a pool and they were unable to get back to shore. The old man panicked. His sons were fished out by a long rope.

The following day, the father found Jack in his small office in the Lahaina Wing and asked to speak privately to him. Jack escorted him to the swimming pool area and was shocked by what the man had to say. The fellow wanted to make sure that Jack knew how influential he was and to tell Jack that if anything had happened to his sons the previous day the man would have owned Napili Kai – not Jack. These words were not received lightly by Jack. “If I own this hotel as you suggest, then I am the boss. Suppose you get your wife and belongings and be out of his hotel within two hours or I’ll have the police come and throw you off the property!” thundered Jack. He man was absolutely indignant…but, he packed his things and left.


~~~~That’s something I’ve never had the guts to do!”~~~~

Jack, Marg and Dorothy had been sitting on the deck of the Teahouse enjoying a delightful lunch and watching the high surf. The ‘no swimming’ sign had been posted and beach activity was restricted to sunbathing. Suddenly, cries for help caught their attention. An elderly man was on the sand and he was waving to and hollering at a woman who was in the water and unable to return to shore. Jack sprang from his chair and rushed to the beach to be her savior! He grabbed the surf board which was kept for rescue purposes. Eventually, he got her on the surf board. All was f fine until the wave dumped Jack and his charge onto a patch of reef. The pounding bruised them, the sharp coral cut them and both Jack and the elderly woman were quite upset by the time they made it back to the beach. Once she was safely on shore and the woman was no longer hysterical, Jack’s concern gave way to anger. “If I ever find you in that water again when that sign is posted, I’ll kick your ass!” fumed Jack. He stomped off to retrieve his trousers. Two days later, Jack saw this couple coming down the sidewalk toward him at the cabana coffee party, he tensed. Expecting the man to threaten Jack with a suit for humiliating his wife, Jack was surprised by the man’s cordiality. Imagine Jack’s disbelief when the man, who had a camera in his hands said, “I’d like to have a photograph of the man who told my wife he’d kick her in the ass if she ever did that again. That’s something I’ve never had the guts to do!”


 "Hotel-keeping is peppered with many light moments"

Despite the friendly atmosphere at Napili Kai, some guests are troublemakers. Such was the case with a woman many years ago. She complained to Dot that she had left her wristwatch in a specific location in her room and that when she had returned to her unit after a swim, her watch was missing. Her immediate claim was that one of the maids had stolen it. Well, the woman yelled and screamed, threatening to sue Napili Kai and demanding the police. Of course, Dorothy immediately informed the housekeeping department. Later that day, one of the maids brought the wristwatch to Dottie. Dot summoned the guest to the front desk to identify the piece. After she’d carried on in such a manner for a few minutes, Dorothy glared at her and asked her if she wanted to know where the watch had been found. Suddenly, the woman turned scarlet, grabbed her watch and disappeared; and, Dorothy did not see her again although the woman stayed at Napili Kai for two more weeks! The watch had been found in the room next door to hers amongst the bed sheets by the head housekeeper and a maid. And…the room had been occupied by a man who had been traveling alone!



In addition to human troubles, Napili Kai had to contend with wildlife. A number of cows, pigs, stray dogs and cats roamed the property and damaged the putting green. The dogs and cats bred at a rapid rate and became horrid pests. Soon, workers made almost-daily trips to the pound, which was in Kahului. Rats built large nests in the kiawe trees and the Millar’s constantly struggled to reduce the rodent population.


There was no government support mechanism developed yet on Maui. Napili Kai’s maintenance man was Robert Hirata. Because Hirata possessed an extremely poor sense of smell, plumbing problems were assigned to him. Sometimes, he needed an assistant and, his helper was frequently Dorothy.

Once, the plumbing was backed up into four rooms and Robert called upon Dorothy to assist him. Robert removed the iron plate from atop the cesspool, ordered Dorothy to duck her head down into the hole and instructed Margaret to hold onto Dorothy’s feet. Robert’s task was to run a long snake through the rooms’ toilets while poor Dorothy, flashlight in one hand and pinching her nostrils with her other hand, peered into the cesspool to see if anything new appeared. Robert’s voice was heard in the distance, calling “Do you see anything?” One can imagine Dorothy’s delight when a dozen or so swimming suit bags came through the muck – a child’s idea of fun?

Another time, Dorothy phoned the County of Maui, which owned the only pump wagon on Maui, for assistance. They pumped the largest cesspool and informed Dorothy that the grease from the restaurant’s kitchen and the rooms’ kitchenettes coated the cesspools’ inner walls like a skin and prevented absorption of the sewage into the earth. Dot’s response was, “Show me!” So once again, Dorothy’s head disappeared into a cesspool opening and she observed the glistening greasy skin they described. Chemicals did not work. The solution was to explode a small charge of dynamite inside the cesspool; then, the system would work for a few more months.

On another occasion, Dorothy phoned the County of Maui and asked them to pump one of the large cesspools next to the Teahouse Restaurant. A crew arrived promptly, assessed the situation, and told the Millar’s that two or three loads would be necessary to empty the cesspool. When the tank was full with the first load, the fellow in charge told Jack that he would not be gone long. Jack figured the man would have to drive at least as far as Lahaina to empty the tank and was surprised when the empty wagon returned for its second load within 10 to 15 minutes. Later that afternoon, when the Millar’s returned to their cottage, Margaret asked, “What is that terrible smell around here?” The Millar’s went outside to find the cause of the stench and were shocked to see an oozing mass creeping down the hillside between the bushes in the direction of the drainage ditch. The overpowering stink lasted for many days thereafter– until the ground dried out. When questioned later, the driver admitted that he had unloaded the truck just around the corner from the resort on the property which today supports the tennis court, shop and maintenance area.


For the rest of the story you must read the book: The Unbeatable Dream (A complimentary copy is in each room - no need to order)

Out of all this, not only a great resort, but the  Napili Kai Foundation was born, thanks to the Millars.

According to the book, the Foundation was for the staff's children.

The Mission of the Napili Kai Foundation is to perpetuate the cultural legacy of Hawaii through the children of Maui. The children, ages 6-18, are taught the dances, language, history, arts and crafts of Polynesia.  Since hula is an important part of Hawaiian culture, they are trained by kumu hula and perform a live, public show every Tuesday at the Napili Kai Beach Resort.

Currently, the Foundation is the longest running weekly children’s hula show in the State of Hawaii, and the only one of its kind that also provides higher education scholarships to its graduates. Over the past twenty years, these scholarships total well over $100,000+.

You must read the book and check out this lady "Dorothy".

The Napili Kai Beach Resort is a must for your "Bucket List".

                                            Thumbs upThumbs up

Additional Text Below The Pictures: "Hawaiian Trivia / History"

Another New Friend: Ashley
We saw a few. Big boat makes a lot of noise.
"Build It" 1962
"And They Will Come"

Hawaiian Trivia / History

What’s Hawaii’s only native palm?

Swaying palms are virtually a visual shorthand for Hawaii, where local churches certainly don’t have to worry about supplies for Palm Sunday. But coconut palms (niu), date palms, bottle palms and traveler’s palms — just to name a few found in the islands– are not native to Hawaii: Some were brought by the early Polynesian settlers, others were later introductions.

Turns out Hawaii has only one endemic palm tree, or rather, one genus with a couple dozen species — some now quite rare — that developed in the islands and nowhere else. Among its ancient uses: the construction of seasonal fishing shrines.



The Bishop Estate is the largest private property owner in the state of Hawaii and having assets of around $10 billion whose sole beneficiary is the Kamehameha Schools, located on a ridge above Honolulu.


What is the Bishop Estate?

by John S. Pritchett Copyright 1999

The Bishop Estate is the largest private property owner in the state of Hawaii, governed by five trustees who are each paid more than $800,000. annually. With assets of around $10 billion, it is one of the richest private charities in the world, whose sole beneficiary is the Kamehameha Schools, located in the heights above Honolulu with a student body of only about 3,200.

The estate was created in 1884 by the will of Bernice Pauahi Bishop, the great-granddaughter of King Kamehameha the great, credited for uniting the Hawaiian Islands during the 18th century. Princess Pauahi died of cancer at the age of 52 and left the bulk of her estate, "to erect and maintain in the Hawaiian Islands two schools, one for boys and one for girls, to be called the Kamehameha Schools." In her will, the princess decreed that the estate be governed by a five member board of trustees, to be appointed by the Hawaii Supreme Court.

The governor of the state of Hawaii appoints the Supreme Court justices and also provides the names of candidates to be considered for the lucrative Bishop Estate Trustee position. Because of this cozy relationship between the government and the estate, the coveted trustee position, over time, became a plum for Hawaii's Democrat machine insiders. For over fifty years the Democrats have ruled Hawaii. " It is the longest running continuous political machine in U.S. history." Says political commentator David Broder

Being accountable to no one and in control of so much wealth and power, for so long, the trustees festered with greed and arrogance. Honolulu Weekly, Hawaii's alternative news weekly, raised a red flag in editorials and cartoons as early as 1991 but the mainstream media, always in support of the local government and the status quo, were relatively quiet until 1997 when corruption at the estate became so transparent as to be undeniable.

On August 9, 1997, a small group of prominent Hawaii activists, published a newspaper article titled, "Broken Trust" which called for the removal of all but one of the trustees and urged the state to investigate. An investigation was conducted by the state attorney general and also by the IRS. On May 7, 1999, Probate Judge, Kevin Chang ordered the trustees temporarily removed after the IRS threatened to revoke the estate's tax-exempt status. By December 13, 1999, all five of the Bishop Estate Trustees had either resigned or were permanently removed by court order.

A fish rots from the head down.

Pauahi married businessman Charles Reed Bishop in 1850 over the objections of her parents. Very few people attended her wedding at her request. One of the few witnesses was that of Princess Elizabeth Keka'ana'iu, her cousin. They had no children of their own; they adopted a son from her cousin Ruth Keelikolani but the infant died at the age of six months.

King Kamehameha V offered her the throne before he died, but Pauahi declined.

After her death, her husband helped establish the Kamehameha Schools in 1887, and created the Bishop Museum in Honolulu in 1889 as a memorial to her




Assets of $6 billion may have been seriously mismanaged

When Hawaiian Princess Bernice Pauahi Bishop died more than 100 years ago, it was her dream to establish a school in Hawaii that would last forever. To that end, the Princess created a trust that included vast lands in Hawaii to which she was the sole heir. Today, the Princess' assets, called the Bishop Estate, are worth between $6 billion and $10 billion and include prime real estate in Waikiki and a 9.5% stake in Goldman Sachs. But her philanthropic trust--created to ensure that native Hawaiian children get a decent education--is being rocked by a slew of embarrassing allegations. On Sept. 10, State Attorney General Margery S. Bronster charged the estate's trustees with financial mismanagement, excessive compensation, and kickbacks. The five trustees deny any wrongdoing, but two are cooperating with Bronster. Two grand juries and the Internal Revenue Service are also investigating the estate. It's enough to make a princess weep.

Bronster also took the unprecedented step of asking the Hawaii Probate Court to immediately remove four of the five trustees and to place the trust in receivership to prevent further damage to the trust or its beneficiaries--the students of Kamehameha Schools, the ones owned and operated by the Bishop Estate. Probate Court Judge Colleen Hirai is expected to rule on the Attorney General's request in a few weeks.

Three of the trustees claim the investigation reflects the political motives of Governor Benjamin J. Cayetano. They say he used the trust affair to bolster his successful reelection campaign and take the electorate's mind off the faltering economy. "The Attorney General is clearly a political appointee," says trustee Henry H. Peters, a former speaker of the state House of Representatives. "She is only accountable to the Governor."WEB OF PARTNERSHIPS. The trustees also include former State Senate President Richard S.H. Wong, Democratic Party politico Gerard A. Jervis, and Marion Mae Lokelani Lindsey, a well-connected former state education official. Of the five, the only one with any real business experience is Oswald K. Stender, a former chief executive of the $2 billion Campbell Estate family trust in Kapolei, Hawaii. Stender and Jervis are helping the Attorney General's inquiry.

Bronster alleges that trustees took about $100,000 each in improper commissions to maintain their compensation levels in a year when estate investments performed poorly. And the estate, according to the Attorney General, paid off campaign debts for two Hawaii legislators who have been instrumental in protecting the estate's interests. Bishop Estate attorney William C. McCorriston denied that trust funds were being used directly to pay campaign debts.

Much of the trust's portfolio is shrouded in secrecy and hidden within a Byzantine web ofpartnerships that include for-profit subsidiaries and holding companies. So it's no easy task to pinpoint the estate's performance. The trustees claim that from 1980 to 1994 the estate posted an annualized return on investments of 17.3%. That may well be, but in recent years the record has been abysmal. According to a July, 1998, Arthur Andersen & Co. report commissioned by the Probate Court and released in October, the trust's assets between 1992 and 1996 averaged an annual return of only 2.4%

Lately, things haven't been going too well at the school, either. The Kamehameha Schools, with More than 3,000 students from preschool through 12th grade, has an annual operating budget, according to the school, of $100 million. Officials at the hilltop campus, which overlooks Honolulu and the Pacific Ocean, boast that more than 90% of graduates go on to college. But that amazing statistic may be at risk: As the controversy has heated up, teachers have been departing. Last spring, the school learned that its accreditation might be in jeopardy.

In the meantime, the salaries of the trustees have been on the rise. Selected by the State Supreme Court, the trustees receive compensation based largely on a sliding-scale commission paid on various estate income, including rent from properties and royalities. Annual paychecks have jumped from $30,000 in 1962 to well over $800,000 in 1997, making the trustees the highest paid at any educational trust in the country, according to the Attorney General. But in May, in the face of growing public outrage, the Hawaii legislature passed a law that would allow it to limit the trustees' compensation.

The estate's fortunes began sagging in the early 1990s, when Hawaii real estate went into free fall, producing sharp financial setbacks. In a number of mainland real estate investments, Bishop Estate got stuck with bad commercial paper and took an equity stake or purchased the entire property rather than foreclosing on the loans. Some of the investments have been recouped, but many have failed to turn around. The Arthur Andersen report found that the trustees repeatedly ignored the advice of outside advisers to diversify their holdings into liquid equities.

During the Attorney General's investigation, it was also discovered that a Bishop Estate employee, who is a former Hawaii state senator, charged $21,000 on estate credit cards for bar tabs at strip clubs. The employee, Milton Holt, has reimbursed the estate but only after he was issued a retroactive pay raise. The Attorney General also alleges that a handful of prominent politicians and friends of the trustees are on the Bishop Estate payroll in do-nothing jobs.

The estate, according to Bronster, awarded a $3.4 million computer contract in 1994 to a company at the behest of trustee Lindsey, overriding staff recommendations. The company, Educational Management Group, flew Lindsey in a private jet to the 1997 Super Bowl in New Orleans. Her lawyer said she reimbursed the company for the flight.

The trust tried to make money in high tech. But it lost $1.5 million in a 1997 investment in KDP Technologies, which planned to put actors' resumes and video clips on the Internet for casting calls. Randy Stone, the brother-in-law of estate trustee Wong, was a paid consultant to KDP. Estate attorneys say Stone, a movie producer, was a valid consultant. KDP's treasurer, Benjamin Franklin Bush III, was later convicted of money laundering and fraud.

The trustees still maintain the trust's performance is better than comparable charitable trusts. They claim some of their investments--including the $500 million put into the Goldman Sachs deal--were home runs.HIGH SCHOOL PETITION. But such home runs could well turn into fouls. The estate's stake in Goldman, once estimated to be valued as high as $3 billion, could now be worth only half that, because of the decline in financial stocks. The estate's 22% share in People's Bank of California looked solid when it went public in May at 14 3/4. It is now trading at $10.

Half of the high school students at Kamehameha Schools have signed a petition to remove the trustees. The investigation and court proceedings could result in heavy fines or the revocation of the estate's tax-exempt status. And if the grand juries return recommendations to pursue criminal charges against some or all of the trustees, Hawaii's old-boy network would be dealt a crushing blow. The benevolent act of a princess has turned into a legal war in paradise.By Alex Salkever in Honolulu.



King Kamehameha the Great


However, the short reign of King Kamehameha II was clouded by excesses in drinking and spending on luxury goods. The king, queen, and their attendants visited London in 1824. In their absence, Ka'ahumanu acted as regent, imposing strict new moral rules on the islands. At about the same time, a revolt was instigated on Kaua'i by the son of the old chief Ka'umu'ali'i. Although the government put an end to the revolt, these events combined to further the missionary cause, while diminishing the power of the king. King Kamehameha II and Queen Kamamalu died of measles in London in July 1824. A national council appointed his younger brother Kauikeaouli as king, and Ka'ahumanu continued as regent. The council also decreed that hereditary succession was now the law of the land. Though Liholiho ruled for a mere 5 years, the changes that he helped bring about forever altered Hawaiian society.



The U.S. invasion, occupation and overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdom government.



The Hawaiian Alphabet (12 Letters)

A = ah

E = ey

I = ee

0 = o

U = oo

H, K, L, M, N, P,

W = va (as in lava-if it is not the first letter of the word)

There is a road in Honolulu spelled Likelike.

Pronounced: Leekeyleekey :-)

"Mahalo & Aloha"










Write a new comment: (Click here)
Characters left: 160
DONE Sending...

Karen | Reply 09.03.2013 09.35

I have asked most bartenders about them & they don't know what I'm talking about! Yes our trip was lovely! You & Archie would love Napili Kai Heather!!

Heather | Reply 08.03.2013 19.26

What a great trip you had Karen. I have been drinking Coffee Keokis for years. Maybe I too discoveed them in Hawaii. Heather

See all comments

| Reply

Latest comments

05.10 | 02:51

I would love to help you clean grout!!

03.10 | 06:37

Love this! Thank you for sharing!

02.10 | 19:05

Sis, want to help me clean my grout?

02.08 | 23:38

I too am an avid fan of Joan. I attended two of her workshops at GATE conferences in CA. She is one of my career inspirations by far. She is AWESOME!

You liked this page